Practice Area: Criminal Defense
At Michael D. Barber & Associates, criminal defense is one of the most important parts of our practice. As former prosecutors, we understand both sides of the argument.
Although you are not required to have an attorney to represent you in court, the state has an attorney looking out for the state’s interests. That attorney’s job is to “seek the truth” and get a conviction of the charges against you.
In drug related offenses, the laws of the State of Georgia can be overwhelming. For instance, upon conviction you could face jail time of 1-5 years, have your driving privileges suspended, attend community service and have a minimum of one-year probation.
In a simple traffic violation, even if you weren’t arrested your charges can still carry serious repercussions. Convictions for traffic offenses can have high court costs, points added to your driving record, and increases to automobile insurance rates. Most people don’t know that some traffic convictions carry jail time.
Our Criminal Defense experience:
- Drug defense (violation of Georgia Controlled Substances Act, marijuana possession)
- Battery and assault, domestic violence, family violence
- Shoplifting and Theft
- Speeding and traffic citations (hit and run, super speeder, drivers license, registration, accidents)
- Criminal trespass, loitering and prowling
- Embezzlement, fraud, employee and fiduciary thefts and forgeries, RICO, money laundering, identity fraud, computer crimes, mortgage fraud
Criminal defense requires a thorough analysis of the situation. Call our office for a free consultation to find out how we can put our services to work for you.